Welcome to Get That Bagel!
I’m not sure what got you here, but hey! My name is Kelsey. I’m 24, I’m an actor, and I’m currently living in Chicago (But I’m a Cardinals fan, so sorry about that). I like to spend my days trying to figure the life/adulthood/money things out, hanging out with other artists at training centers and going to shows, and finding new things to do in the city-then finding time to do them. Interests include film/TV, books, food (FOOD), rabbit hole-ing topics, theatre, podcasts, equality, music, grammar, animals, and avoiding my reflection when I don’t have on makeup (which is 99% of the time). If you get good vibes from anything in that list, we’ll get along great. This is starting to feel like my Tinder bio, so we’ll move on.
I’ve Got No Idea What I’m Doing…
In 2015, after a series of events that are in another post (upcoming), I moved in with my brother, his wife, and their two dogs at their place in Chicago. It’s been great, and I never want to not live in a city ever again, just maybe a warmer one eventually. But I quickly got unhappy with the general swing of things. My degree is in theatre, and I wanted to pursue film and television, but chose Chicago to get better at improvisation. I envisioned my day to day life being working at a random job to support myself, taking classes, and auditioning for stuff. Work (and some self-doubt) has generally gotten in the way of everything else. Also, I’ve been really disappointed in the transition from school to adulthood. I don’t consider myself an adult at all. I don’t have it all figured out the way older generations apparently did when they were my age. Times have changed since then, but the expectations have not.
But That’s Okay!
Anyway, I’ve been trying to balance have-to’s and want-to’s. I have to earn money to eat and have somewhere to live, but if I work somewhere I want it to make me happy; have to make responsible decisions, but I want to binge on Netflix all day; I have to be healthy, but I really want to eat pizza for every meal. See the trend? But that’s okay! So many people that are currently in their 20s feel the same way. You might have chosen a career and got really mad when you realized that it’s going to be the same thing for the next 50 years. We all want to enjoy ALL of our lives without sacrificing part of them to get a paycheck. Not everyone wants kids, or at least not yet. If you are unsatisfied with how adulthood is going so far, that’s where the Get That Bagel comes in. The goal is to record useful things as I find them, write things I enjoy writing about, help other people in a similar situation (i.e. you if you’re still reading), and sustain my want-to’s by monetizing the site. Sorry, y’all, a girl’s gotta eat, and this is one way to do that without being someone else’s you-know-what.
Here’s What You Can Expect to Read About
- Me: I know, right? “Enough about Kelsey, if I wanted to know about her I’d follow her on social media!” Well, that was incredibly rude of you, but you can follow me via the icons at the top of the page, and be on your way. But I own the site, I’m going to write about myself, ‘kay? Not all the time, just when it seems useful. This may be about projects I do (it’s called shameless self-promotion), stories about my family (sometimes includes dogs, so that’s always interesting), and other personal anecdotes (I like vocabulary words, refer to first paragraph). If that doesn’t appeal to you, at least continue reading this list (thanks).
- Have-To’s: Everything from health and home to finance and everything else you might want tips on.
- Want-To’s: Once you have the have-to’s down, do whatever the hell you want! Covers entertainment, products, travel, and more.
- My Portfolio: I’m an actor, and I want to tie it into the blog where I can. Check out some work I’ve done!
- Challenges: I try out something new for a month and record the results. These are geared to a healthy lifestyle and a reflection I don’t avoid like a vampire.
- Subscription Reviews: Subscription boxes are the stuff, y’all.
- Income Reports: I’ve been tracking my blog growth. You may find it useful if you want to start your own!
- Chicago Lovin: I live in the Windy City, I want to share some gems with you!
- In the works: people highlights, holiday tips, and more as it develops.
Why Should You Stick Around?
The chance to see these guys, of course!
I don’t know, I’m not trying to sell you on anything. Or am I? So meta. But I’m not going to tell you what to do, I’ll just suggest a lot of things that you totally SHOULD DO. Just kidding. Like I said, I don’t have it all figured out. But I wanted to jump on the blogging bandwagon and I was tired of having all these useful things in a million different places, so I decided to put them all on one site. If you feel the same about all of this, then you should totally stick around for more and we should be besties! If you hate everything I said, you should stick around anyway because I don’t have any friends (I have a very self-deprecating sense of humor). Regardless, I’ll be here, writing and posting and keeping up with whatever is happening. Hopefully, some of it is helpful for you!
Want to stay updated on my journey? Subscribe and read along as I learn how to balance all aspects of life, and share tips along the way!